The Helmsley Building
Park Avenue zwischen 45. ind 46. Straße, erbaut 1929
The Clock on The Helmsley Building (formerly the New York Central Building) from Edward Francis McCartan (1879-1947), erected in 1928 stands 68 feet above street level.
Cut in limestone, the clock features two statues four times life size. The male figure on the left is Transportation. Transportation, who symbolizes the spirit of speed, rests his arm on a winged wheel of Progress and holds the staff of Mercury. On the right is a female figure, Industry, who embraces a staff in her arm, while resting on a beehive.
Several other smaller symbolic figures round out the design including the Liberty Cap, crowning the clock's top. The clock, 45 feet in width and 19 feet high, has a dial which spans 9 feet in diameter.