Lupa capilotina ['Mater Romanorum'] in Capitoline Museums, Rome
Lupa capilotina in Capitoline Museums, Rome [Capitoline She-wolf]
5th century BC, Bronze, 75 cm
Lupa Capitolina: she-wolf with Romulus and Remus. Bronze, 5th century BC (the twins are a 15th-century addition). Formerly in the Lateran; gift of Sixtus IV, 1471
The She-wolf, with its evocative power, is the symbol of the city of Rome. The donation of Sixtus IV brought the statue to the Capitoline Hill. Initially, it stood in the fifteenth century facade of the palace. Then, it was transferred inside the palace, on the occasion of Michelangelo's architectural interventions. At that time, the twins were added, attributed to some by Pollaiolo. They transformed the ancient Lateran symbol of justice into "Mater Romanorum".
The creation of the work, which originally had probably nothing to do with the legend of Rome's foundation, can be traced back to Etruscan or Magna Graecia workshops of the fifth century BC. Recently, based on the casting process analysis, it was suggested that it may date back to the Middle Ages.
Capitoline Museums (Musei Capitolini)