Wir verwenden Cookies, um Inhalte und Anzeigen zu personalisieren und die Zugriffe auf unseren Webseiten zu analysieren. Außerdem geben wir Informationen zu Deiner Nutzung unserer Webseiten an unsere Partner für Emails, Werbung und Analysen weiter. Details ansehen

Was ist neu?
625 26

Horst Schulmayer


Pro Mitglied, Region Stuttgart

Downhill

Skellig Michael - 17



Ein kurzer Blick zurück ...


St Michael's Church is rectangular in form, unlike the oratories, and would originally have had a timber roof. Two stages of construction can be identified: a small church in mortared stone was later expanded, using much larger sandstone blocks.

The date of the foundation of the monastery on this island is not known. There is a tradition that it was founded by St Fionan in the 6th century; however, the earliest written records come from the end of the 8th century. It was dedicated to St Michael somewhere between 950 and 1050. It was customary to build a new church to celebrate a dedication, and this date fits in well with the architectural style of the oldest part of the existing church, known as St Michael's Church. It was occupied continuously until the later 12th century, when a general climatic deterioration led to increased storms in the seas around the island and forced the community to move to the mainland. However, a monastic presence was maintained as a dependence of Ballinskelligs Abbey. The church was enlarged in the 12th century and the older buildings were kept in repair. The prior of Ballinskelligs Abbey continued to be addressed in papal communications as 'Augustinian Prior of St Michael's, Roche ( = Skellig)'.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/757




Der Aufstieg
Der Aufstieg
Horst Schulmayer

Kommentare 26